Name Origin Edit
The name Yooka is a two-name pun with Laylee, whereas both words are being used to form the musical string instrument known as the ukulele (although it is more of a mis-pronounciation, as ukulele is meant to be pronounced "yooka-leh-leh").
Protagonist Yooka is described as "a green bloke with no pants." The character is a lime-green colored, male chameleon. He is further described as having eyes that are lime green in color, and these are surrounded in arched, dark-green markings. He also has a long curled tail, pronged casque upon his head, and even scarlet-red markings and spikes upon his back, eyelids, hands, toes, and tail. He has a round yellow patch upon his torso.
Yooka is the easy-going, adventure-craving half of the buddy-duo. Always having a calm attitude and keeping Laylee at bay, he is an affable, intelligent and relaxed chameleon.
Abilities only used by Yooka Edit
- Slurp Shot - Yooka shoots out his tongue to eat objects like berries and butterflies and is used for other abilities.
- Tail Twirl - An attack that can be used while moving, hitting any nearby enemy.
- Double Jump - After jumping, Yooka can jump one more time.
- Slurp State - Yooka gains an elemental property when licking a certain object
- Lizard Leap - Yooka uses his tail to give an extra jump boost.
- Lizard Lash - Yooka grabs onto an object by using lick, and his tongue pulls him forward towards the object.
- Buddy Bubble- A bubble made of flatulence used underwater that allows the duo to breathe, and use their normal abilities underwater.
- Air Attack - An aerial attack that deals one damage to any enemy it contacts.
- Flappy Flight - Allows the duo to fly for a certain amount of time.
- Buddy Slam - Yooka jumps and Laylee hits Yooka downward in mid-air to hit the ground hard.
- Glide - Slows down the falling speed of the duo.
- Camo Cloak - The duo becomes light-refractive. While being light-refractive, the duo will be able to evade detection from Corplet Security and Security Cameras, and the duo will also be able to refract light to activate light-activated switches.
- Reptile Roll - Laylee uses Yooka as a wheel to go up steep hills and travel fast.
Steve Mayles originally designed a tiger, but this was changed to make him appear more like an underdog, as tigers are usually seen as strong creatures. Steve Mayles then went with a frog, but decided to scrap that idea. At one point, Playtonic Games even experimented with insects as well. A friend of Steve Mayles told Steve to check out the game Chameleon Twist 2 on the Nintendo 64, and Steve Mayles got the idea of a Chameleon as the main character.
- Yooka was inspired by Banjo from the Banjo-Kazooie series,
- The internal names for "Yooka" and "Laylee" in various files are "Cam" (likely short for Chameleon or camera) and "Batty" respectively.
- During the official reveal of the game before the Yooka-Laylee Kickstarter, many fans mistook Yooka as a female.
- While intentional or not, Yooka has two tongues.